Sunday, January 28, 2007, 12:39 PM - Minardi M193Alright, finally make some progress here. I have put 3rd coat of Tamiya white primer on. It now has consistent white base to receive gloss white paint. I will sand the white primer smooth and use Tamiya TS26 pure white to do the job. I will probably de-can it and use my Tamiya HG airbrush to put 3 layers on. Here are some pic and you can see the difference between Lotus 107B and this mod-version of Minardi. You can see the major mod is on the cowling backbone and the nose cone. Actually I feel Lotus shape looks more distinctive
Saturday, January 13, 2007, 11:39 PM - GeneralToday is one exciting day for me. I finally attended the karting school at Jim Russell Racing School in Sonoma, CA. I had wanted to do this real karting stuff since 1997 and never got my act together. The overall experience is incredible and I am really happy about it. Embrassingly, I am the only adult in the class of 8 and the oldest kid there was only 16. LOL.. Believe it or not, the fastest and smoothest driver in the class was the ~12-13 yrs old boy who drove so smoothly and I have hard time to stay with him.
The kart I drove was a sprint kart. Instructor mentoned that this kind of kart can go to max of 80-100 mph. Driving this kart is no joke.. It accelerates so fast and the brake pedal travel distance is only 1 - 2 inch or so.. very difficult to adjust after so many years of road car driving. The throttle is so responsive that just a little harder on gas while exiting the corner can easily swing your rear around.
After full day of class (around 6 drills), I still couldn't brake consistently on the right braking spot and kept the correct race line when entering corner (maybe braking too late or carry too much brake into apex while instructor taught not to carry the brake into apex.) I guess it does take a lot of practice to get it right
During my last run, the kart just died. Mechanics said the drive shaft broke and he gave me ride back to the pit. LOL It is like F1 with mechanical failure and I got a DNF... LOL So instructor gave me a few laps of bonus run to make up the lost track time and I really appreciated that.
Overall, I had a lot of fun and I finally get the real race kart driving experience.. After I got back in my road car to drive home, suddenly I felt everything was going in slow motion. If I have chance, I will try out their advanced course, but will definitely try to attend a class with few more adults to be less embrassing
Here are some photos taken by a friendly mechanics there in my last bonus run and I was all by myself at the track. Enjoys my report.
This is silly me wearing helmet after final bonus run
Monday, January 8, 2007, 10:18 PM - Minardi M193Not much progress was done on my Minardi. I managed to put on 2 thin layers of Tamiya white primers on this weekend. I fixed the panel line on the cowling. The panel line is not exactly the same as the real car but I am satisfied about it. After sanding with 1000 grits sandpaper, some white has already gone off. Now I need to put on at least 2 more layers of white primer to make sure the car has consistent base to receive gloss white paint. Hopefully I can start spraying gloss white 2 weeks from now.
Thursday, December 14, 2006, 08:30 AM - Modeling RelatedNot too much progress on my Minardi. I am still fixing the panel lines. Meanwhile, I bought couple of diorama books from Rainbow 10 and they arrived last night. One is called "Kohji Itoh's Diorama Showpieces" and the other is "Kaneko Tatsuya's Diorama Style Book". They both featured miltary diorama work done by them. Itoh's one has English translation too. Both have featured rich set of photos of their work. I have no skill to build military subject, but I always admire these nice military diorama work since young. It is a good refresh if you look at other modeling subject once a while
Saturday, December 2, 2006, 12:21 PM - Minardi M193Just got up early Sat morning and applied 2nd gray primer on the M193. There are still quite a lot of small holes to be filled and sanded.
Front wing end plates were modified to have smaller shape. It looks good so far.
Here is the overall pic so far. Mirror mount holes were drilled. They were moved 5mm fowards from the orignal mounts. Now I worry the panel line may look too wide. Hopefully few more layer of primers and paints will fill them up.
I will do some filling later today and will probably do some overall sanding again tomorrow.
More update soon ....